Psychosexual Counselling Service
Sexual difficulties are common and can affect any one of us at any time. We provide specialised psychosexual therapy sessions to help with your difficulty using an appointment-based system.
Therapy can be using a cognitive behavioural approach (CBT), with COSRT (College of Sexual and Relationship Therapists) therapists which is also suitable for couples, or Psychodynamic psychotherapy on a one to one basis with doctors trained by the IPM (Institute of Psychosexual Medicine).
Both types of therapy are brief interventions and not suited to long term ongoing support.
Common difficulties may include the following, but therapy is not limited to these conditions :
- Loss of desire (sex-drive)
- Lack of sexual arousal, which you find troublesome
- Difficulty in reaching orgasm
- Painful sex
- Vaginismus, difficulty with penetration
- Difficulty getting or keeping an erection (Erectile dysfunction )
- Premature, delayed or absent ejaculation
- Specific fears around sex and sexual phobias
- Issues with gender identity
We do not prescribe medication but are able to recommend this to your GP if appropriate.
We do not offer specific help for sexual addiction but are still happy to assess you to see if you are suitable for therapy with us or if we can facilitate onward specialised referral.
Please note due to a turnaround of staff we are currently suspending referrals to the Hathersage Centre for Psychosexual counselling. We apologise for any inconvenience and will update this page when the service is resumed.